Recommended packing materials:
- Sturdy boxes of various sizes. We provide boxes for free with booked moves. Additional boxes above the allotted amount can be purchased for $1.00 each.
- Packing tape
- Packing paper – newspaper works well but remember the ink can rub off
- Bubble wrap and tissue paper for your fragile items
- Black markers
- Scissors or a box cutter
- A screw driver set
- Give yourself lots of time and begin packing well in advance. Start with items you will not need until after the move leaving your necessities until the end.
- Try to pack a little each day or set aside certain days to do your packing. This will help you avoid the last minute rush to get things done.
- The packed boxes cannot weigh more than 50 lbs. Pack your heavier items in smaller boxes and your lighter items in bigger boxes. It’s a good idea to use towels and bedding to fill gaps in any of your boxes. The tighter the packed boxes, the more secure they will be. It is HIGHLY recommended that boxes be taped on the bottom and top, as opposed to folding the flaps in. Items are more likely to fall out of the bottom of a box that isn't taped and they stack much better for moving when the bottom is flat.
- Remember not to pack any dangerous or hazardous goods.
- Be sure to wrap all your fragile items individually
- Clearly label your packed boxes. Indicate the contents, the room it belongs to, and if the items are fragile.
- Have one small box labelled Set Up Carton to hold remotes, cables, screws to assemble bed, couch legs, ect
- Pack morning necessities(coffee cups, sugar tea ect) in one small box and label Unpack First
How to Pack a Flat-Screen TV
- Save the box the TV comes in when you first receive it. If you need to pack it in the future, you can use the original packing to cushion it and keep it safe.
- Buy a cardboard box large enough to hold your TV if you have thrown out the original packing. Buy large pieces of foam or packing Styrofoam pieces. If you have received a package lately, you can use some of the Styrofoam from it.
- Turn the TV on its side onto a large sheet of Styrofoam and lay another piece of Styrofoam on top of it. Place the open cardboard box behind the TV, also on its side.
- Gently push the TV into the cardboard box. Do this in a room with carpet or other soft flooring so you don't damage or jolt the TV.
- Add more Styrofoam for extra padding if you feel it is needed. Gently pull the TV so it is standing up. Have someone help you with this.
- Close the box and use tape to secure the box. Label it so you'll remember it's your TV, and you will be gentle with it. Load the box into the vehicle you'll be using to transport it. Support it by tying it down or standing boxes on either side of it to hold it up.
Thank you for visiting Short Notice Movers, your professional movers in Halifax. Our movers specialize in household, condo, apartment and office moves. Please visit us again at ShortNoticeMovers.ca the next time you are looking for experienced moving companies in the Halifax area.